Your nursery is decorated, the carseat is installed, and your maternity clothes almost don’t fit anymore! But shoot, you still need to pack your hospital bag. It is one of those necessary evils that is often left until the very last minute!
One of my readers actually asked for this list, so I will help you simplify the packing process and make it so you only take the most necessary items!
- Face wash
- Dry shampoo
- Nursing pads
- Hair ties
- Concealer and mascara (unless you love going “all out” with your makeup, don’t bother bringing it all. As a new mom, all you need is a littler concealer and mascara to perk up!)
Clothing Items for Mom
- 2 comfortable nursing shirts (you will most likely be wearing a hospital gown the whole time you are there)
- 2 pairs of loose, comfortable pants (just because the baby is out, doesn’t mean that you should bring your pre-pregnancy jeans to wear home!)
- 1 nursing bra (if you plan on nursing)
- 1 sports bra that you can take off without lifting it over your head (often you have IVs in your arm, so if you want the bra off, it becomes difficult to take it off)
- 2-3 pairs of socks
- A pair of flip-flops and a pair of slippers (flip-flops in case you don’t want to shower barefoot in the hospital shower)
- 1 pair of “throw-away” underwear (even if you have a c-section, you will experience bleeding. Don’t bring a nice pair of underwear to wear home!)
- Robe to wear over your hospital gown
Items for Dad
- Fresh pair of clothes and underwear
- Pillow and blanket (since he will most likely be sleeping on a couch)
5 Day FREE Baby Sleep Course!
Need sleep? We all do! That’s why I have created this 5 Day FREE Baby Sleep Course. This course has all of the tools you’ll need to help your baby and YOU get a better night’s sleep!
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.
Items for Baby
- Cute going home outfit (with a bow for a girl if you’re like me and like bows!)
- 3 diapers and a small package of wipes (the hospital should have some of these for you)
- Swaddle blanket (I SWEAR by swaddling. Check out my post on 5 Ways to Soothe a Crying Newborn since swaddling is vital!)
- Warm blanket (depending on the season. If it’s August, a swaddle blanket will be sufficient)
- Gifts for siblings (my son struggled with the birth of my daughter, so I brought a little present for him from my little girl. He definitely liked her when he saw that she had gotten him cars 😉 )
- Nursing pillow
- ALL OF YOUR CHARGERS-phone, laptop, tablet, camera, etc.
- Snacks-if not for you, then for your husband
Getting everything all ready to go right before your baby is born can sometimes be overwhelming. But hopefully with this list, you are able to cross off one more to-do item with very minimal stress!
And once you bring your baby home, you will want to be able to sleep! So plan ahead and sign up for my FREE 5 Day Baby Sleep Course! It will give you all of the tips you’ll need to sleep well again!
Get your FREE hospital bag packing list!
Subscribe to get your free packing list and always stay up to date with new posts!